Squadron Commander - Multiple Statewide
Position Level: CAP Level II
Estimated Time Commitment: 5 hrs/week
The Rhode Island Wing is currently seeking dedicated volunteers to serve as Squadron Commanders. Typical duties of the Squadron Commander position include:
- Establish plans, policies, and procedures necessary to the fulfillment of the CAP mission, which are not in conflict with the directives of higher headquarters.
- Keep informed of the accomplishments, problems, and degree of compliance with regulations and other directives through personal observations, inspections, reports, and staff meetings.
- Comply with all policies, regulations, and directives of higher headquarters and require the same compliance by all members of the squadron.
- Select personnel to fill authorized staff positions and remove from staff position those members deemed unqualified or otherwise unsuitable to continue in their positions.
- Coordinate the activities of staff officers to prevent overlapping of functions and to resolve conflicts.
- Ensure that new personnel are properly introduced to CAP and make frequent checks on their progress.
- Ensure that squadron property and funds are properly safeguarded and accounted for.
- Other duties as required.
- Meet basic requirements for CAP membership.
- Completion of Level II of the CAP professional development program.
- Minimum grade of 1st Lieutenant.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Creativity and an ability to think "outside the box."
- Strong safety mindset.
- Previous service as Deputy Commander for Cadets or Deputy Commander for Seniors.
- Technician ratings or higher in aerospace education, cadet programs, and emergency services.